Saturday, April 10, 2010

Courtesy of my father: Homemade Coleslaw

If you're thinking it's kind of weird to have coleslaw on Easter, you're not alone.  I feel like coleslaw goes with the Fourth of July, summer, picnics, burgers, etc.  But, my father loves coleslaw, so he insists on making it for Easter.

Now, normally I would totally skip over coleslaw when I have the choice.  I feel like it's just a last-minute thing that diners put on the side of a burger and fries to fill some empty space.  It's usually sort of hard and not that flavorful.  Not exactly something that I crave daily.

However, for this coleslaw I make an exception.  First of all, it's fresh: the cabbage is grated, so it's much more light and appealing, and it's not bogged down with little flakes of pepper and tons of watery mayonnaise.  Basically, what I'm saying is that my dad makes some good coleslaw.  Hear that, Dad?  Even though I think you're weird for making it on Easter, I admit it's good.

It's simple, but here's the step-by step for our Homemade Coleslaw:

---------------
What you'll need:
  • A head of green cabbage
  • Mayonnaise
  • Paprika
  • Onion powder
  • Salt
(Easy, right?)

---------------
How to make it:

1.  First, you'll need to grate the entire head of cabbage.

Yep, I left it up to Dad.  I will admit right now, my hands never touched this dish.
(I don't think he trusts me)


It's hard work...


You'll know you're working hard enough when the picture is good and blurry.


Ah... that's what we want.

2.  Then, you'll need these things:

Stir in some mayo.  But NOT TOO MUCH, or it will get watery.
Start with a little, then increase if needed.


Then salt, onion powder, and paprika, to taste.
Look!  You don't even need me!


And... stir!
Sorry I don't have a better final product.
I was distracted by dinner.

---------------
Now, wasn't that simple?  Next time you have a last-minute picnic (or a celebration of the rising of Christ...), just throw this baby together and everyone will think you're a genius.  It's so worth the time, especially if you have a nice dad to do it all for you ;).

Are you Easter-ed out yet?  You better not be... we have THREE more to come!

3 comments:

  1. yummm! this looks so good. I used to work at a seafood restaurant that made their own coleslaw and we never knew how it was so good. They would hide away in the basement to make it so that no one knew the special ingredient, but that is the best coleslaw i have ever had. your dad might give them a run for their money though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They kept the secret recipe away from you?? Even though you worked there? That's terrible. You guys should have made a secret plot to uncover it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cole slaw is one of those things that is so simple, yet so amazingly good! I grew up in New England with lots of lobster and cole slaw, and I miss it!!

    ReplyDelete