Monday, March 8, 2010

Product Feature: TJ's Chicken Sausage

I first must start off with a big APOLOGY to everyone for my absence recently.  Because I was performing in a production this weekend, I had no time… which means no cooking OR writing!  Therefore, I have been very lonely and hungry this week without my blog.  However, I am back, and next week is spring break, so be prepared to have more updates than usual.  Mom and Dad are big fans of having their own chef during breaks.

Today’s post features a product from one of my new favorite stores: Trader Joe’s.  I’ve never seen a Trader Joe’s near me in Connecticut (the closest is over a half hour away), but when Joe and I were on Long Island a few weekends ago we made a trip.  Trader Joe’s has products with great quality for a low price, which is really all that you could ask for!  If there was a TJ’s near my house, I would go there ALL the time, and if you haven’t been, you should check it out too.

We discovered a product that is going to make me go back to TJ’s again and again just to try all of the flavors: Trader Joe’s Chicken Sausage!  And this chicken sausage was not just plain ol’ “boring” sausage; it came in many, many different flavors.  Here are some of them:
  • Sun-dried Tomato
  • Spicy Italian
  • Sweet Apple
  • Sweet Apple and Champagne
  • Spinach and Feta
  • Others that I can’t remember!

Now, what are the benefits of chicken sausage over regular sausage?  Personally, I like the taste better because it doesn’t have as much of a “bite” as regular sausage (but that is my personal preference).  But chicken sausage is much healthier and lower in fat than regular sausage, and this TJ’s chicken sausage is gluten free and mostly dairy free, depending on the flavor.  Also, it is pre-cooked, so no need to boil it before sautéing it in the pan.

As for the flavors, Joe got Spicy Italian and I got Sweet Apple.  It was a terribly difficult decision.  Joe’s review of the Spicy Italian was slightly lackluster; he said that it was definitely good, but it wasn't spicy enough.  Ultimately, it didn't meet our high expectations.  However, we both tried the Sweet Apple and it was DELICIOUS!  It had actual apple chunks in the sausage, which made it really sweet and something that was very unique.

All in all, I will definitely be back to TJ's soon in order to get, among other things, more TJ's Chicken Sausage.  I'll let everyone else decide... what is your vote for the next flavor I should get?  I'm debating between sun-dried tomato and spinach/feta; something savory this time!

1 comment:

  1. I realize this is a little bit out-dated (as it's now 4 months past the original post date) but I discovered your blog by searching for Trader Joe's products... and I'd like to recommend the sun-dried tomato ones! :) They were delicious. You can see my blog at pinchofyum.com!

    ReplyDelete